Friday, January 22, 2016

The Broken Heart's Jar

This isn't my usual thing, but it's something that just came out one day, and I kind of liked it.



I broke something today-
Something that didn't belong to me.
I held it tenderly close for so long, 
As long as I could.
Was it years?
Decades?
Surely longer.
Though now it seems it was mere minutes as I look upon its pieces 
Unintentionally shattered at my feet.
I don't remember ever feeling stronger,
Or so completely powerless.
And now I'm left staring blankly at the inevitable, heartbreaking destruction of it all.

But then, that must be the way of it.
As you grow in your own strength,
You release the burdens others place upon you;
To stand tall in the confidence you have painstakingly built.
I carried your "could haves," "should haves," and "would haves"
Day after endless day,
Always making more of it than you meant.
And in the end, 
It was my heart and my life
Or yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment